On March 30 at 8:30 p.m. (local time – wherever you are in the world) millions of people around the world will turn off their lights for an hour to demand action on climate change. Earth Hour is now the world's largest grassroots movement for the environment, inspiring millions of people to take action for our planet and nature. As Canadians, we choose a future where climate change is no longer a threat. Participating in Earth Hour is a simple way to show that you want to be a part of the solution and sends a powerful message that together we can make a difference.
With over 3,500 employees working at Nestlé Canada, we can make a difference this weekend and throughout the year – at the office and at home. We’re proud to share that many of our factories and offices in Canada will be in energy conversation mode during this time.
- Our Brampton office will remain in energy conservation mode by ensuring automatic shutoff of lights at 8 p.m. on Friday evening, until 6 a.m. on Monday morning. In addition, the HVAC system drops/raises 3 degrees for energy savings every evening from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Our London Ice Cream Factory has completed LED lighting upgrades and is continuously finding energy efficiencies included in equipment purchases.
- At our North York office, the automatic lights will be turned off at 7 p.m. and are sensor activated – ensuring we are saving energy whenever possible. In addition, following the renovation of our head office, our lighting consumption has dropped to approximately 62% of original usage and resulted in a cost savings of approximately $2,300 per month. The Nestlé sign on the top of the building is also in the process of being upgraded from florescent lighting to LED for better energy efficiency.
- At our Sterling Road Factory, we completed an upgrade to the chiller system which resulted in a reduction of nearly 7,500 GJ of energy – enough to power 175 Canadian households for a year!
- At our Trenton facility, in 2018 all the facility lighting was converted to high-efficiency LED lighting for better energy efficiency.
All our factories work hard to reduce their environmental footprint everyday. In Ontario, each of our factories has achieved zero waste for disposal and have developed innovative and local solutions to address their unique environments.
Remember, as you’re leaving on Friday, switch off in solidarity with global efforts to secure nature & our home. Please ensure your computer is turned off and any meeting room lights or equipment are turned off as well.
Visit the Earth Hour Canada website for more information.